I have been back in Louisiana for a week as of today and it has already snowed once...and tomorrow there is a 100% chance again! This is way beyond bonkers!
I do not like it one bit and neither do the pups! In Texas we were experiencing 75 degree spring like days and now my body and my mind are having quite a time adjusting. I was already dreaming of warm days, spicy crawfish, cold beer, and tan toes. And now I am back to wearing sweaters and slippers around the house to keep my pale toes warm. (sigh)
With such cold temps there is only one way to keep warm and boost your winter spirits! You bundle up in your coziest of comfy clothes and fix yourself a big bowl of this Chicken Tortilla Soup!
This is a soup that my mom and I have been making for years and it is definitely a go to in my rotation of soups in the cold weather months! It is healthy number one, and number two...well it is just plain delicious!
You need to make it today before the "blizzard" comes!
In Louisiana, a wintry mix or an inch of snow is basically a blizzard you know. Although where you live there might actually be the possibility of a blizzard. This soup works in both scenarios.
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1, 8 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1, 8 oz. Can Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 Large Can Fire Roasted and Chopped Green Chiles
- 1, 8 oz. Can Black Beans
- 1 Small Bag of Frozen Corn
- 2-3 Jalapenos (diced, seeds and all if you like a little heat)
- 1 Large Onion (diced small)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken Shredded (you can definitely cook your own if you prefer, but this makes this soup extra speedy and easy)
- 3 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Juice of One Lime
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Cilantro
- Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- Diced Avocado
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- Tortilla Strips (Slice corn tortillas into thin strips, place onto a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick spray and then spray a light coat on the top of the strips and then sprinkle with chili powder and salt, bake at 350 for about 10 minutes until browned lightly and are crispy.)
*I also sometimes serve cornbread with this soup!
-Heat a pan to med-high heat and sauté your onion and garlic with salt and pepper in olive oil about two minutes.
-Add your jalapenos and continue to sauté another couple of minutes until veggies are tender. Add in your can of green chiles and your cumin and cook another 3-4 minutes.
-You will now add your cans of tomatoes and season again with salt and pepper and cook a few minutes to flavor the tomatoes well.
-Add your chicken stock, black beans, corn, cayenne, bay leaf, lime juice, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 15 minutes.
-The last step is to add your chicken and let this all simmer together for at least 30 minutes, but you can let it go for hours if you want. The longer it goes, the more the flavors combine!
-Top with your cilantro, avocado, cheese, extra lime and a few tortilla strips and you are ready to eat!
Cozy up with a bowl of this soup, TV trays, your favorite show, and a blanket and you won't regret it!
This soup has that comfort thing happening with the ability to lift your spirits after a long day at work! Your whole family will love it!
So while we all wait for warmer weather, let's make delicious soup!
Why not start with this one?
And it doesn't hurt if you snuggle up with someone you love...your significant other, a little one, or a furbaby!