Okay people, Christmas is a week and a day away so we have to get serious about what's going to be on the table for Christmas dinner. I am torn between a traditional Christmas dinner or full fledged Italian. Decisions, decisions. If I go the traditional route, which for me means a standing rib roast with a bunch of veggies served on the side, these pepper jelly roasted carrots will be making an appearance no doubt about it.
Canean loves carrots, like they are probably one of his favorite vegetables, raw or cooked. Maybe he's part rabbit. For some reason when I was growing up I didn't eat too many cooked carrots, I guess because my mom isn't that crazy about them. I started making them myself more in a, they go with a roast in a crock pot kind of way, and then got smart and started roasting them in the oven.
The sweetness comes out from the carrots while they roast and they get all caramelized and yummy. I love a hint of sweet with my carrots followed by a little spice. Enter Louisiana Sisters pepper jelly. It's the perfect flavor to add to the carrots and a great way to revive your pepper jelly way of thinking. Not that there is anything wrong with the cream cheese, pepper jelly spread that many of us make around this time of year. But...
Let's think outside the box and do things like roast carrots with pepper jelly...tis the season.
- 1 Bundle of Fresh Carrots, Peeled
- 3 Tbsp. Pepper Jelly (I used Louisiana Sisters)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat carrots with pepper jelly, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place carrots in a single layer on the pan.
- Roast for about 45 minutes turning halfway through when carrots are tender and caramelized.
Just about the easiest side you could possibly hope for on a busy Christmas day...and that gives it double bonus points in my book...
What else is on your menu for Christmas? I need some help deciding what to make!
Happy Holidays to you and yours!