I crave wings like most grown men crave wings and I like to blame that on my husband because I didn't really find a true love for the food until we were together. Wings happen to be one of his favorite go to "splurge" meals and I usually join in on the festivities. You aren't surprised are you? And because I love them so much I decided that I needed to make them at home and that way I could make them a little healthier. So I started making grilled buffalo chicken wings and wedge salads for a side.
I have told you before, but just in case you didn't know, we have an awesome farmer's market where I live and one of the chicken farmers sells skinless wings! They are so delicious and with the skin gone it cuts down on fat immediately. I get them almost every week because I love them so much. If you can't find skinless, don't worry you are still going to healthier with this recipe! Instead of frying the wings, I grill them and then instead of French fries or some other unhealthy side we usually end up getting, I make a salad inspired by the blue cheese dressing and celery served with traditional wings.
It's the perfect light summer meal and it satisfies that wing craving that I get so much and I don't have to feel bad about it at all. If you are a little skeptic, it's ok just give them a try and see for yourself!
- Chicken Wings (drumsticks too if you prefer)
- Your Favorite Wing Sauce (or you can make your own)
- 2 Tsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce
- 5 Radishes
- 3 Stalks of Celery
- Green Onions
- 1/4 Cup Blue Cheese Crumbled
- 1/2 Cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Reduced Fat Mayo
- 2-4 Tbsp. of Skim Milk
- 1 Tsp. Worcestershire
- 1 Tsp. White Vinegar
- Pinch of Cayenne
- 1/4 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Preheat grill to med-low. In the meantime, toss your wings with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Once the grill is at the right temp, (reduce all the way to low if your grill cooks hot) and place wings onto the grill.
- Grill approximately 4 minutes per side depending on the size of your wings until fully cooked and they have nice char marks on them.
- Remove and put into a bowl and toss with desired amount of wing sauce.
- Garnish with green onions,
Salad and Dressing-
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer before serving.
- For the salad, simply cut your iceberg lettuce into four wedges and top with radishes, celery, green onions, and drizzle the dressing over top. Season with salt and pepper.
It is really a simple and easy meal and I think you will really love this version of a junk food favorite.
And you don't have to tell your family they are healthy, just make 'em and serve 'em. They'll be hooked and hopefully so will you!