Hi guys! How was your weekend? Ours went by too quickly, but was pretty great. We celebrated the hubby's birthday this weekend with friends over nachos and margaritas and then spent Sunday being lazy and watching it rain. I kind of love Sundays when it rains because it gives you an excuse to lay around and not be productive. Unfortunately that can't last forever and Monday is inevitable, so let's make the most of it and start our week off right with a healthy meal that you will fall in love with! You HAVE to make my citrus shaved brussel sprout salad with white cheddar. It's my new salad obsession, and I can't wait for you to try it.
It will make you happy when you eat it because it is just that good. I made this salad by accident for the first time and was blown away by the flavor combinations. In fact I love it so much, that Saturday at the farmer's market I bought two bundles of brussel sprouts because one time eating this salad is just simply not enough.
I'm even confident that Canean, who would never pick brussels as his favorite veggie will be all over this salad and will be requesting it as a weekly staple.
It's so healthy, so full of flavor, and would be perfect for lunch to give you energy and keep you full until dinner. Although, this week I am actually going to make this salad for dinner and serve it with either chicken or fish for a light and delicious way to end to my day.
I'm telling you guys that you are going to LOVE this recipe. The multitude of textures and balance of flavors makes for a perfect salad, one that you have to make asap.
- 1 Cup of Fresh Brussel Sprouts, ends removed and sliced into shreds
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 Cup of Toasted Walnuts, chopped (to toast place nuts into a dry pan over medium heat and slowly heat until the walnuts toast and you can smell them, be careful not to burn)
- 2 Tbsp. Good White Cheddar Cheese (I like the white cheddar that resembles in texture a parmesan, and Trader Joe's has an amazing one that is affordable and it's called "unexpected cheddar", it's a great everyday cheddar to have in the house)
- 1 Orange, segmented and juice reserved (cut off the outer skin and then take your knife in between the sections to remove each segment of the orange. Do this over a bowl to reserve your orange juice for the vinaigrette.)
For the Vinaigrette-
- Juice from your orange
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp. Honey
- Whisk your vinaigrette ingredients together until mixed thoroughly.
- Toss shaved brussel sprouts, apple matchsticks, and walnuts with about half of your vinaigrette.
- Crumble pieces of white cheddar over top of the salad, add orange segments, and then taste test to add more vinaigrette or more salt and pepper depending on your taste.
- Serve immediately.
Be prepared for your mind to be blown after you eat this salad y'all! I basically had a whole conversation with myself the first time I ate it about how no other salad could possibly be more perfect! I wish I was kidding, but I am sure the dogs can vouch for me since I was home alone.
Start your week off right with something healthy just like my citrus shaved brussel sprout salad with white cheddar and you will be ahead of the game on sticking to your healthy meal plan!