Growing up my mom used to make me the same pasta before every swim meet. It was super easy and involved, noodles, butter, and garlic salt. That was it..and it was delicious. It's still one of my favorite comfort foods to this day. Wellll...the other day I was watching the Food Network and Ina Garten was making her "Midnight Pasta" which looked very similar to my mom's pasta so I tuned in. It was a whole episode about what chefs cook when they get off of work. Turns out it's the same idea as my mom's, but Ina's version is a little more gourmet. And holy moly is it delicous...and fast. I've already made it a couple of times since then and because the ingredients are ones that I keep in the house most of the time I can make it any time that I want to! Fifteen minute pasta or midnight pasta, is going to become your new favorite go to weeknight dinner, I'll bet on it.
We all know those nights where you barely have energy to think about cooking, let alone actually cooking. You have about a thirty minute window where if you are going to cook, it has to happen then otherwise it's takeout for the family. That's where this pasta comes in to save your life.
It's hearty so you can serve it by itself or throw in some grilled chicken and a salad and call it a day. It's comfort on a plate and oh my goodness is it delicious.
A glass of wine, a bowl of this pasta, and your favorite TV show that's back on this week...what else could you possibly want out of a night? And I'm not even yanking your chain about the whole fifteen minute thing, it really is that easy from start to finish.
And I mean Ina doesn't make anything bad, sooooo...if you don't trust me, which you should, then you can definitely trust her.
Speaking of, is it too much to ask to spend a day or two in the kitchen with her? A girl can dream...
In the meantime though, I will just keep making her pasta. Maybe everyday if I want to because it's easy and just that good.
- 1 Lb. Spaghetti
- 1/4 Cup Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 Garlic Cloves, smashed
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Flat Leaf Italian Parsley
- 1 Tsp. Salt, plus more for salting the pasta water
- 1/4 Cup of Parmesan Cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add a good amount of salt and add your pasta. Cook until al dente, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and then drain and set the pasta aside. You can drizzle with olive oil to keep pasta from sticking, but don't rinse.
- While your pasta cooks, heat your olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and then add your garlic cloves, but be careful not to burn them. Cook the garlic for about five minutes and then the last 30 seconds add your red chili flakes and your teaspoon of salt. Turn off heat.
- Add your pasta to the pan with the olive oil, garlic, and red chili flakes, add your Parmesan cheese and parsley and toss together. Add a little pasta water to the mix if the pasta is too dry.
- Serve immediately.
*Recipe slightly adapted from Ina Garten.
This will quickly become your new favorite and easy weeknight meal. So now you tell me, what are some of your go-to comfort meals that are ready in a snap?