You guys, last weekend I went a little fall crazy in the kitchen. I am so ready for all things fall-like, I just can't stand it. The heat here is sending me mixed messages, but I have decided that it's going to be fall in my kitchen regardless of the weather outside. I ended up with a bunch of mealy apples from the grocery last week, which is always a bummer, and wanted to make something with them since they aren't good to eat alone as a snack. My pregnant brain heard the words apple and butter at some point last week and I decided I would whip some up with what I had in the pantry, including my mealy apples. The verdict is in! It's so easy to make you own apple butter in the slow cooker that I am never spending money on buying it in the store again. I made apple butter and then put it in my oatmeal for some serious yummy breakfast vibes and I am dishing on both today!
When your house smells like cinnamon and warm apples, you can't not be in a good mood. Saturday I was practically floating with smells of spicy apple butter cooking away. And the best part is, I didn't have to do hardly anything. I literally put all my ingredients in the slow cooker and walked away! That's my kind of weekend cooking!
You could eat the apple butter with a spoon, I wouldn't judge, but it's amazing on your morning toast, spooned over ice cream, used in place of jam on your peanut butter sandwich, and my new favorite...putting a spoonful in your morning oats! Holy yum!
Sooo good guys! Perfect to make as overnight oats or to make hot on a crisp fall morning! A big ole spoonful of comfort is what it is and you need to be hugged by this deliciousness!
- 6 Apples (I used gala, but you can really use whatever is your favorite)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup of Water
Apple Butter Oats-
- 1/2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 3/4 Cup Milk (almond or coconut would sub well here too)
- 1 Tbsp. Apple Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Nuts (I used Walnuts)
- Pinch of Salt
- Peel, core, and dice apples into small chunks.
- Place chopped apples, brown sugar, water, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in the slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Store in mason jars and refrigerate.
Apple Butter Oats-
- Combine milk, oats, apple butter, and a pinch of salt in a microwave safe bowl or on the stove top. If using microwave, cook for two minutes, if cooking on the stove, heat until oats are tender.
- Top with walnuts and more apple butter if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Tomorrow is the official first day of fall and I can't think of a better way to kick start the season than with yummy apple butter goodness!