School has started, so I am guessing that your weeks have just gotten that much more complicated and hectic. Even if you don't have kids to get to school in the morning, traffic has increased and your morning time has in turned decreased, which can sometimes mean that breakfast gets eliminated or you might tend to grab something unhealthy. Make ahead breakfasts can be life savors for the morning rush and my breakfast tacos with Andouille sausage and queso fresco are the perfect solution to a happy belly.
You can prep all ingredients the night before and in the morning have a fresh and satisfying breakfast on your plate in under a minute. I don't know if you are like me, but if I don't have a good breakfast, I am not very productive and can get kind of hangry. No bueno friends.
I picked up some local Andouille sausage from the farmer's market on Saturday, and I knew right away breakfast tacos were going to be on the menu for the week. The prep is easy, and it's everything that I love about breakfast. Fluffy eggs, spicy sausage, fresh pico, creamy avocado, and crumbled queso fresco...it's perfection wrapped up in a soft tortilla.
You can swap any ingredients for ones that you prefer or have in the fridge and stuff those bad boys with whatever makes your taste buds dance.
They will quickly become a family favorite and you will love the extra minutes you have in the morning and the fact of knowing that you fed your body what it needs to get through the day!
- 4 Links of Andouille Sausage (or any spicy sausage)
- 6 Eggs
- Flour Tortillas
- Pico de Gallo (fresh diced tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, lime juice and salt and pepper, mixed together)
- 1 Avocado
- Diced Green Onions
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Chop your sausage and brown in a skillet. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside. (This can be done in advance and refrigerated in individual portions.)
- Beat your eggs and add a little salt and pepper. In a skillet over med-low heat, scramble your eggs until they are a soft scramble, not over cooking. Set aside. (You can also do this in advance and refrigerate in individual portions.)
- To assemble, warm tortilla, layer eggs, sausage, pico de gallo, avocado, green onions, and queso fresco.
- Serve immediately. Try to eat only one, or don't.
Honestly, they are great for breakfast. But I'll take them at lunch or dinner too.