I have been slacking in the meal prepping department for Parks. I was so on my game at the beginning of the solid food stage and then he got really mobile and I found it super hard to find the time to go pee, let alone fix his homemade meals. Since we entered the can't sit still stage, I won't lie...there has been a hot dog or two thrown into the mix and maybe some mac and cheese...because some days I just need to get food in a hungry and fussy baby's belly and I need fast and easy. Yesterday however, I meal prepped for Parks because my mama guilt of not getting as many nutrients in him each day as possible was weighing heavy on me! Originally I made this dish for just him, and then after tasting the lentils I decided we would be sharing these lentils for a healthy lunch option all week!
Also, let's talk about how I am going out of town this weekend to New York City to see my best friend's new baby and Parks will be staying with daddy. Which I feel totally confident about by the way, but I know that his diet might go a little off course over the days that mommy is gone. So...maybe I had a little motivation to cook some meals that would be easy for daddy to heat up and serve without having to prep anything!
These easy Italian lentils for both you and your baby or toddler are so perfect for meal prepping ahead and are equally delicious too! I would even bet your hubby could get on board with this dish and not even miss the meat. Side note, is that wrong of me to assume that men want meat in their dish? I know there are plenty of men who are fine with vegetarian eating, but the men in my life, including my baby boy like their meat. So I guess I'm judging off of that.
Anyhoo, make this recipe and you can feel good about what you feed yourself and your babes this week!
- 1 Cup Lentils
- 2 Carrots, Peeled and Diced Small
- 1/2 Onion, Diced Small
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Diced Tomatoes (fresh or canned, if canned drain them first)
- 1 Tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt, (plus more to taste if needed)
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 3 Cups of Chicken Stock
- Water to add to stock as the lentils cook
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Add olive oil to a large pot.
- Add onion and carrots to the pot along with 1/2 the salt and pepper.
- Saute the onion and carrots for 2-3 minutes and then add garlic to the pan.
- Add Italian seasoning and the tomatoes and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add lentils to the pot and cook for 1 minute before adding the stock.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the other half of salt and pepper to the pot and continue to cook until lentils are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Add water to the pot as the liquid is absorbed. The lentils should stay almost submerged in liquid at all times.
- When lentils are tender, serve immediately.
P.S. If you are into freezing meals, this would be a great candidate for that!